There are so many ways to live and enjoy an active lifestyle to benefit our health and well-being. My friend Roxy recently told me how much she has been enjoying Tabata lately, and has seen positive results from this intense cardio class to lose some post bambino weight. My classes and cardio activities at the gym are constantly changing. I did Tabata months ago, had great results, and then switched to Insanity where I found even better results. Yoga, spin, cardio-kickboxing and Zumba have also been on my fit pick repertoire. I have reduced my cardio training a lot, but there are new activities I am currently doing in moderation in addition to other fitness moves that have served me well. These the favorites I have been really loving lately.
1. Yoga and stretching from Sworkit. This little app provides a lot of variety from strength to cardio to Yoga and full body stretching after an intense workout. And it is free!
2. Treadmill sprints. I’m not a fan of the dreadmill, Lord only knows. What gets me on and staying on this machine without getting bored are drills. From sprints to incline hills, these features help me to keep it challenging and wowzers, is it ever a great cardiovascular workout and a true sweat fest.
3. Twist and shout. Russian twists have helped immensely with strengthening my core. I do these twists using the 6 pound medicine ball, in conjunction with the plank in a super set. A strong core means less injuries and better form when weight training.
4. Drop it like it’s hot drop sets. Starting with the heaviest weight, and less reps, then decreasing weight while increasing repetitions with no rest in between has made a difference in my tricep and bicep definition and firmness.
5. Crossfit WODS I can do at my gym. I am consistent with a specific weight training program for at least 3 to 4 months, but at times I do like to switch things up. These WODS are perfect for implementing new strength and circuit challenges.
6. My humble, unassuming love, the rowing machine. Boy, does this machine work your lats and arms as well as your back. I would love to suggest to more folks at my gym to give it a try. Rowing machine is always alone in the corner.
My fitness bucket list:
1. Zip lining (done)
Running a 5K (did it!)
. Crossfit (did it and survived it!)
4. Running a 10K
5. Rock climbing
Wine tasting in Tuscany (oops, fitness bucket list! Fitness bucket list!)
7. Spectating a bodybuilding competition. (that’s as close as I’ll get to entering and boy would I be is awe land.)
8. Ariel Yoga
9. Snow shoeing in the rouge valley or trails in and around the greater Toronto area before it gets too warm and the snowy trails turn to muddy trails.
What fitness faves have you been enjoying of late? Spinning? Swimming? Hiking? Biking? Brazilian Capoeira? Bucket list fitness items to share?